This is a hands-on environmental program where we work with community schools that don’t have livable environments and transform them into more ecological with livable environments – Eco-schools. This program aims at creating more sustainable community Schools through active involvement of young people in schools to take lead in the change they want to see, starting with their own schools.
Through this program, we are working with young people in schools by bringing them closer to nature by engaging them in more outdoor conservation activities. Young people plant trees in schools and communities, students/pupils raise school tree nurseries and distribute seedlings to the community to plant for free and thus making their communities greener and more sustainable.
Key Issues to Address:
- littering among students/pupils
- soil erosion in school compounds and school gardens
- poor nutrition in schools
- bare school compounds with limited vegetation, reducing the student’s enjoyment outdoors
- schools are leading consumers of wood and are responsible for the loss of forests
We work with these young people to take collective action and solve some of these issues, one at a time and together we will have our schools more livable and sustainable.
In this program we highly welcome volunteers who can support these schools in transforming their Eco-systems.
It doesn’t require you to have any specific skill, all you need is a pair of hands and a passion to help with anything.
Some Volunteer Tasks Include:
- Educate students/pupils on environment protection, growing healthier food in school gardens, and best farming practices.
- Establish orchards with the pupils (fruit tree gardens) in our eco-schools
- Take pupils to explore their natural surroundings and identify key natural resources.
- Interact with the pupils to develop their English skills.
- Develop an outdoor curriculum for sports, gardening, scouts, etc.
- MANDATORY: Cultural session with the school outlining facts and information about your country.
To volunteer for this opportunity, please visit here.